In this Feminist Coach Track class, creator of the ‘How To Be A Woman And Not Give A Fuck’, Airial Clark teaches how to become aware of, unpack and break free from social conditioning that sees women believe they have to put other people first, other needs, other opinions, and other desires, and ultimately decide and act upon what we each uniquely want to care about and become.
Airial has many years of experience coaching and counseling womxn, men, and folx of various genders with a feminist lens and knowledge of social conditioning. In this class, Airial breaks down this gendered conditioning in a deeper way, and how we can use this awareness in our coaching or healing practice.
One of the major key points Airial made was how much “women” invest in personal growth more than “men”, and it’s because women have been taught that we need to “fix” ourselves and are continuously in a state of “becoming”, which reminds us of the famous quote from feminist philosopher, Simone DeBeauvoir, “One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.”
This continuous state of “becoming” shows up with examples like diet-culture and women constantly trying to achieve an “ideal” body, the beauty industry and altering our appearances because our physical appearance has been our biggest value under patriarchy, and generally trying to “fix” or “better” ourselves because we think we “should”.
But, it’s not just “women” who have been socialized in ways that may not serve us, but “men” are as well in different ways that don’t serve them. Unpacking this gendered conditioning is the ticket to our liberation, and Airial’s approach for those of us who have been socialized as or identify as “women”, in particular, is to practice not giving a fuck! In this class, Airial also gives practical suggestions on how to adopt this approach in your life.
So much was covered in this class conversation-style class, check it out:
- Her approach + workshop “How To Be A Woman & Not Give A Fuck”
- How you can give less fucks or no fucks at all about the things that aren’t serving you in your life
- How you can become more aware of socialization + incorporate it into your coaching with your clients
- How “men” have been socialized + what women can do about this
- How she has used feminist intentions in raising her sons
- Leadership qualities, womxn, gender + authority
- How gender is a spectrum + the qualities of “masculine” + “feminine” are not innate to “men” + “women”
- How our personality has been shaped by oppression + how tests like Myers Briggs don’t account for this
- The many ways to hold someone accountable + how there’s no one “right” way as it’s deeply contextual
- How womxn don’t need to invest in personal growth courses etc + how the personal growth industry feeds oppressive messages
- How to be discerning of feminist mentors/teachers/coaches etc in the personal growth + business worlds
- How to create an inclusive space in your workshop + with your 1:1 clients
- How to build trust + safety in workshop spaces + with your clients/audience
- How you can use the approach of not giving a fuck in a very practical way – + how you can support your clients in exploring this too
Airial has also inspired us to think more about the everyday ways that those of us who have been socialized as “women” take on more labor in every area of our lives and play into the caretaking role perhaps more than what genuinely serves us because of what patriarchy has taught us.
Airial’s teaching on this validated Nai’s thoughts about how this caretaking and socialization can show up in relationships, and Cam is having new insights on how they’ve unconsciously been trying to take on more care work than is necessary even though they don’t identify as a “caretaker”.
The good news is, even if you were unable to attend the class live, you can access the recording and learn in your own time. You can purchase the individual class or the entire Feminist Coach Track.
Upon signing up, you will get access to the Class 6 recording, slides, worksheet, and a list of resources. If you sign up for all 12 classes in the track, you will also get access to our Members’ Portal where we will store all the class recordings and other resources that we are collating especially for you.
ENJOYED THIS ARTICLE? PLEASE SHARE WIDE + FAR:
Pin to Pinterest…